Posts for tag: Scaly Skin
Are You Seeking Treatment for Your Psoriasis from Your Chicago, Il, Dermatologist?
Psoriasis is a chronic condition where red patches of skin with white, flaky scales appear on your skin. They are most commonly found on elbows and knees but appear pretty much everywhere on your body. Psoriasis impacts about 7.5 million people in the United States, and although approximately 20,000 children under age 10 are diagnosed, the first episode usually occurs when a person is between ages 15 and 35. If you are experiencing any issues with Psoriasis, please call North Branch Dermatology in Chicago, IL.
General Psoriasis Info:
Being a genetic disease, Psoriasis isn't contagious, but, unfortunately, there's no cure. The only treatments available are meant to control symptoms and increase the healing process.
The triggers also vary from one person to another and include:
- Injury to skin
- Allergy medicine
Types of Psoriasis
- Plaque Psoriasis (Psoriasis Vulgaris): Usually found on knees, elbows, lower back, and scalp, this type appears as red lesions with whitish scales.
- Pustular Psoriasis: Usually a result of overexposure to ultraviolet radiation, infections, stress, or withdrawal from certain medications, this type of psoriasis looks like white pus-filled blisters surrounded by red skin.
- Guttate Psoriasis: Usually manifests in children and young adults as small red dots.
- Inverse Psoriasis: This bright red lesion is smooth and shiny, and usually found in armpits, under breasts, groin, and the skin folds around buttocks and genitals.
Treatment Options in Chicago:
- Over-the-Counter Medications: Scale lifters, bath solutions, Dead Sea salts, and anti-itch moisturizers
- Prescription Topical Treatments: Prescription topicals that slow down the growth of skin cells and reduce inflammation.
- Light Therapy/Phototherapy: Controlled exposure to ultraviolet light, such as Sunshine, Excimer lasers and Pulse dye lasers
If you have any questions or concerns about Psoriasis, don't hesitate to contact North Branch Dermatology's Chicago office at (773) 763-6000.