Posts for: January, 2018
Your skin is one of the first things that people notice, so when there's a problem it is almost impossible to hide. A rash is a skin condition that can be particularly annoying, difficult, and embarrassing to manage on a day to day basis. It’s even more distressing when the rash doesn’t go away for a long period of time. There are different types of rashes that can affect your skin—learn about them and seek help for your particular rash at North Branch Dermatology in Chicago, IL.
What Are Skin Rashes?
A rash is some type of inflammation of the skin. It can cause the skin to become red, irritated, flaky, itchy, and sometimes painful. A bad rash can leave a mark or scar on the skin after it clears up. Rashes can show up anywhere on the skin, but are most common on the face or limbs (arms and legs). Some rashes develop spontaneously, while others are triggered by environmental factors.
What Causes Them?
Here are some of the reasons why rashes can develop and spread:
- An allergy to a specific food (like nuts).
- An allergy to a chemical or detergent.
- A bug bite that becomes infected or irritated.
- A condition that has been present since birth or that runs in the family.
Types of Rashes
Here are some of the most common rashes that the dermatologists at North Branch Dermatology in Chicago, IL treat:
- Contact dermatitis (flare-ups from contact with an allergen).
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema, which often affects young children).
- Chronic skin issues like acne, psoriasis, or rosacea.
- Rashes from fungal infections (like ringworm and yeast infections that develop on the skin).
- Rashes due to bacterial infections like staph infections and impetigo.
- Viral skin infections like shingles.
Get Help with Your Rash
Once you identify the exact cause of your rash, you and your dermatologist can treat it properly. Call North Branch Dermatology in Chicago, IL at (773) 763-6000 today to set a date and time for a skin examination with Dr. Elizabeth Fahrenbach.